Recent Posts

Post Widget 2

Many pilgrims may miss 2026 Hajj after portal closure – NAHCON warns

Many pilgrims may miss 2026 Hajj after portal closure – NAHCON warns

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has said that many intending pilgrims may be unable to participate in the 2026 Hajj exercise following the closure of Saudi Arabia’s Hajj portal shortly after Nigeria secured an increase in its quota.

In a statement issued by NAHCON’s Deputy Director of Information and Publications, Fatima Usara, on Friday, the commission attributed the development to the timing of the approval, which came after the Saudi authorities had closed the portal for pilgrims’ data registration.

Saudi Arabia had earlier reduced Nigeria’s Hajj quota from 95,000 to 50,000. However, diplomatic efforts by Nigerian authorities led to an increase in the number of allocated slots.

The additional allocation, NAHCON explained, was granted close to the deadline for data submission.

Usara said, “You may wish to recall that following the reduction of Nigeria’s Hajj quota to 50,000, NAHCON convened a meeting with State officials and formally cancelled earlier allocations, adopting a first-come, first-served policy based on confirmed remittances.”

She added, “Many Boards subsequently secured funding and made payments accordingly. Thereafter, Camp bookings were allocated based on remittances completed by January 2, which was the deadline.

However few states including Kaduna and Niger states received limited additional allocations later which was made possible through internal spooling from some states that paid excess.”

According to her, the commission had repeatedly cautioned states and intending pilgrims against late registration, noting that Saudi authorities would strictly enforce deadlines.

“Although NAHCON sought additional slots later, approval for the additional slots was received after Saudi’s key operational portals had closed.

The commission appeals to pilgrims who paid late to remain calm and patient, assuring them that updates will be communicated as necessary,” she said.

The commission urged affected pilgrims to await further communication as efforts continue to address the situation.

olaconpiks

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read also x