The Federal Government has declared Wednesday, May 27 and Thursday, May 28, 2026, as public holidays for the Eid-el-Kabir celebration amid heightened security alerts and nationwide deployments by military and law enforcement agencies to forestall possible attacks during the festivities.
The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, announced the holidays in a statement issued on Monday by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Magdalene Ajani.
According to the statement, the declaration reflected the Federal Government’s recognition of the spiritual significance of Eid-el-Kabir to Muslims in Nigeria and across the world.

Tunji-Ojo urged Nigerians to use the period to pray for peace, security and national prosperity, while calling for unity and peaceful coexistence among citizens.
“The Federal Government urges all Nigerians to use this period for prayer and sober reflection, asking for divine guidance upon the country as it continues its pursuit of peace, security, and prosperity for every citizen,” the statement read.
The holiday declaration came as security agencies across the country announced large-scale deployments and heightened surveillance following intelligence reports of possible attacks by terrorist groups during the Sallah celebrations.
The Headquarters Joint Task Force (North East), Operation Hadin Kai, said troops had been placed on high alert across the North-East ahead of the celebrations.
In a statement by the Media Information Officer of OPHK, Lt Col Sani Uba, the military warned that remnants of Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province might attempt isolated attacks on civilian targets using suicide bombers and improvised explosive devices.
“Credible intelligence available to the command indicates the possibility of isolated attempts by remnant Boko Haram Terrorist and Islamic State West Africa Province elements to exploit the festive period to carry out attacks against civilian targets using suicide bombers and IEDs, particularly in areas of high population concentration,” the statement said.
The military, however, assured residents that comprehensive countermeasures had been activated across the theatre of operation.
According to the command, troops had been forward-deployed to vulnerable locations, while surveillance operations, patrols and intelligence activities had been intensified in collaboration with sister security agencies, the Civilian Joint Task Force and local vigilante groups.
“The command remains resolute in its determination to deny terrorists any freedom of action and ensure that the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations proceed in an atmosphere of peace, safety, and dignity for all,” the statement added.
The military advised residents to remain vigilant, avoid crowded gatherings where possible, and promptly report suspicious movements or objects to security agencies.
In Bauchi State, the state police command said it had intensified security arrangements across the state and deployed personnel to Eid grounds, highways, recreational centres and other public places.
The command’s spokesperson, Nafiu Habib, quoted the Commissioner of Police, Sani-Omolori Aliyu, as warning criminal elements against activities capable of disrupting public peace during the festive period.
The command said conventional police officers, tactical teams and traffic personnel had been mobilised across the 20 local government areas of the state.
The Sokoto State police command issued a comprehensive security advisory ahead of the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations, warning residents against actions capable of disrupting public peace before, during and after the festivities.
In a statement released on Tuesday by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, the Commissioner of Police, Hayatu Shaffa, assured residents of adequate security arrangements throughout the celebration period.
According to the statement, the police command had already intensified patrols and intelligence-led surveillance around Eid prayer grounds, markets, motor parks and other critical infrastructure across the state.
“Safety is a collective responsibility. Adhering strictly to these stipulated rules is not an infringement on your joy but a safeguard for our shared peace,” Shaffa stated.
He urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious movements or objects around crowded places, especially prayer grounds and event centres.
The police also warned against unapproved processions, unauthorised gatherings and acts capable of causing panic during the festive period.
On security arrangements at Eid grounds, the commissioner said only authorised vehicles would be allowed within the designated prayer ground perimeters.
In Kogi, the police deployed 485 personnel to protect lives and property, maintain law and order and prevent criminals from taking advantage of the festive period.
This was contained in a statement issued on Monday by the command’s spokesperson, ASP Afusat Saliu and made available to newsmen in Lokoja.
The statement said the Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, ordered the proactive deployment of security personnel across the state to ensure a peaceful and hitch-free Eid celebration.
The deployment, according to the statement, involves personnel drawn from Divisions, Area Commands, State Headquarters, Police Mobile Force, State Intelligence Department, Counter Terrorism Unit, Vehicle Inspection and Recovery Unit, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit and Safer Highway Patrol Teams.
“As part of efforts to strengthen security architecture during the celebration, the command is also working in synergy with sister security agencies to ensure coordinated operational activities aimed at guaranteeing the safety of residents and visitors across the state, the statement added.

